Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Coconut Kona Ice Cream


It seems like coffee is one of those things you either love or you hate.  Rarely do you find a person that drinks just an occasional cup - its either all or nothing.

Personally, I always hated the stuff.  Bitter and nasty.  I wondered how people could actually bring this repulsive beverage to their lips every morning.

And then... a few things happened.

First, I graduated college and got myself a "real" job.

Let me tell you something, my friends.  Commuting every day to New York City from an hour and a half away will drive you to drink a lot worse than coffee.

That's when I realized most people don't drink coffee for the taste, they drink it to stay the h%#$ awake.

But, with this new-found realization, I also discovered cream, sugar, and ice can go into the coffee.

Meaning, it doesn't have to be bitter and nasty ... some people just prefer it that way. 

And then, just when I thought my chilly new friend couldn't get any more delicious, I walked into a Dunkin' Donuts where I found 'coconut' was a flavor choice for iced coffee.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Now I'll admit, the marriage of coconut and coffee is an unlikely one.  But if you like each flavor separately, then take my word that you must give this combo a chance.

Mr. Vittles actually didn't like coffee, either, before met me - not so much because of the taste, but because he doesn't like warm beverages.  However,coconut iced coffee converted him to a believer as well.

Now, as I mentioned a few posts ago, Food Network Magazine has a contest where you come up with an original recipe featuring their "secret" ingredient for that issue.  And when I saw the secret ingredient was coconut for an issue I had read, I felt inspired.


Unfortunately ... my inspiration did not lead me to victory.

Apparently, coconut kona ice cream pales in comparison to coconut SCONES.

(Yup... I'm still bitter.)

But the good news is, I did create one of the most delicious ice creams I've ever tasted.  So at least it was a victory on some level.


I hope you enjoy this creation as much as Mr. V and I.

And please tell me if you do!

It will help me feel less bitter about the scones :) 

Coconut Kona Ice Cream
  • 1 C. sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 C. half & half
  • 1/4 C. coconut milk
  • 3/4 C. sweetened cream of coconut
  • 1/2 C. whole Kona coffee beans
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 C. heavy cream
  • 1 t. vanilla
In medium saucepan over medium heat, stir flaked coconut until browned (about 5 minutes) being careful not
to burn.

Remove from heat and add coconut milk and cream of coconut, stirring after each addition.  Add half & half and whole coffee beans, and return saucepan to burner over medium heat.  Stir until mixture returns to a simmer.

Remove from heat and let beans steep for about 30 minutes.  In the meantime, prepare an ice bath big enough to fit the saucepan.

Strain coconut mixture through medium mesh sieve over a container, pressing the solids with the back of a spatula or spoon to extract all liquid.

While mixture is straining, rinse out saucepan and add 3 egg yolks to pan.  Whisk to combine.  Then discard solids from sieve, and return half the liquid in container to saucepan with the yolks.  Whisk to combine, then add remaining liquid.

Return pan to stove burner on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens & coats back of spatula (about 7-8 minutes). Be careful here - you want this to become a custard, but you don't want to cook the eggs too much and have them get chunky!

Immediately transfer saucepan to prepared ice bath and allow mixture to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

When mixture is cooled, transfer to a coverable container and stir in vanilla.  Then add heavy cream but do NOT stir after addition.  Cover & refrigerate until chilled, at least an hour.

Transfer to ice cream maker & freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Then transfer to coverable container, and freeze about 3-4 hours before serving.

Original Recipe

1 comment:

  1. This looks like the most delicious ice cream.( I have no idea why the coconut scones !) You have combined my two favorite flavors ! The recipe looks a bit tricky for me but I'll give it a whirl.
    Beth (Pam's Friend)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...