Sunday, August 29, 2010

Moroccan Chicken Kebabs


I know I posted a recipe about kebabs a couple weeks ago... but I just tried a new one, and since Kebab Season is quickly coming to a close, I had to share it with you!

It's no secret that I love Greek yogurt (some past recipes that have featured this amazing ingredient are Whole Wheat Yogurt Waffles and Cucumber & Yogurt Salad.)  It has such a thick, creamy texture and is very high in protein - especially considering it comes not only in whole milk and 2% but also nonfat!

Not everyone is down with yogurt though.  When I was preparing this chicken tonight, Mr. Vittles asked what I was making.

"Yogurt chicken" I said, to keep things short because I knew I'd totally lose him if I said the word "Moroccan."  But even without the ethnic spin, his radar was up.

"What's in it?" he said, hovering around the bowl.  I started listing the ingredients, and he said "No - I mean, what kind of yogurt?  Strawberry?  Banana?"

I'm pretty sure he was kidding, but sometimes it's hard to tell. 

However, I know he was not kidding when he commented twice that the chicken came out "really good." 

And I didn't even have to ask.

"Who knew that yogurt could make chicken taste so good?" he wondered aloud.

Umm... I did. 

That's why I made it.  :)

Moroccan Chicken Kebabs
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 C. nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1/4 C. chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 T. chopped fresh basil (recipe called for 2 T. cilantro but I didn't have any)
  • 2 T. lemon juice
  • 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 t.)
  • 1 1/2 t. paprika
  • 1/2 t. ground cumin
  • 1/4 t. onion powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. freshly ground pepper
  • 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler.

Place chicken pieces on metal or bamboo skewers*.  Grill or broil the kebabs until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side.

*If using bamboo skewers, I would recommend soaking them in water while chicken is marinating so they don't catch on fire.  Eating Well also recommends wrapping the exposed ends in foil.

Recipe slightly adapted from Eatingwell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...