Monday, August 16, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken Marinade (for Kebabs)


Now is that time in the summer when constantly having something to do gets exhausting.

I think we talked about this already in the beginning of the summer, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I found sweating and sitting in traffic (hopefully not simultaneously?) to be utterly hellacious.  Especially since I drive for about half of my work day, and being in the car on my days off is not one of my favorite activities.

I must say, work has been surprisingly busy - I'm getting transferred to another group under another supervisor, which is probably for the best in the long run but a little bit stressful for the time being.

And, while the beginning of the summer was unusually quiet, we have had a lot of activities and visits with family and friends over the past month.

Don't get me wrong, it's all worth it - I love spending time with everyone.  But you know what they say, "when it rains it pours."

And I think I forgot my umbrella at home.

Sooo... this is kind of my roundabout way of telling you - I don't have as many new recipes to share with you as I would like :(

However, I do have this recipe to marinate chicken for kebabs that is always a favorite of mine.  Momma Vittles used to make this, and I loved it even in my Super Annoying Picky Eater days.  She would use any leftovers to put in a green salad the next night which was extremely yummy - and highly recommended.


Unless, of course, you have a husband who commandeers all delicious leftovers for lunch at work the next day.

I might possibly maybe perhaps have one of these types of husbands.

Whose name ends in Ittles.

Maybe.

Teriyaki Marinade
  • 1/2 C. vegetable oil
  • 2 T. toasted sesame oil
  • 1 C. soy sauce
  • 3 T. brown sugar
  • 3 t. garlic
  • 1/2 t. ground ginger
  • 2 T. sherry (optional)
  • 2 T. scallions, sliced thin
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch chunks*
  • skewers (if using wooden, soak in water for 30 minutes before threading to prevent them catching on fire)
Combine all ingredients in shallow coverable dish or in plastic ziploc bag.  Marinate chicken at least 4 hours, up to overnight.

When fully marinated, thread chicken onto the skewers.  (If using any vegetables, first drizzle the veggies with some olive oil and mix with salt, fresh pepper, garlic powder to taste).  Turn grill on high heat and cover 15 minutes.  Then reduce heat to medium-high (medium hot fire, if charcoal).

Place chicken on grill and cook about 7-8 minutes, turning slightly every couple of minutes, until chicken is thoroughly cooked & no longer pink when you cut into it.  (Cook veggies until lightly browned- may not need full amount of minutes).  Serve immediately.

*I believe you can also use this marinade for beef!

Recipe Origin Unknown

2 comments:

  1. I have been married for 12-1/2 years and my husband adds bottled Teriyaki sauce to just about everything I make! So, when I came across this recipe (on a search for red velvet) I knew I had to give it a try. I mixed up the marinade the night before and then made it yesterday for dinner with chicken tenderloins, red & yellow bell peppers, onions and tomatoes in a pan on the stove. I just seared the chicken, removed from pan, added and cooked veggies with a tiny bit of water to deglaze, then added back the chicken. OMG, no lie - it took ALL the attention away from our 5.8 earthquake!! Even though, when I opened my cabinet all my pots had fallen over from the earth rumbling and fell out all over the floor – I didn’t care! One of the best recipes I’ve ever made. This will be a weekly dinner in our household and I can’t wait to try it on the grill. I also made the Chocolate Oatmeal Fudge Bars for dessert and those two things together were very easy to put together, which is what I like for weekly dinners. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to trying more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Franki Franki, this comment made my day! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the recipe (and that you made it thru the earthquake alright, yikes!)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...