Monday, December 20, 2010

Spiced Coffee


Mr. Vittles and I just returned from a fabulous ski weekend in Lake Placid, New York with another couple.

 Kristen, Chris, Mr. V, and myself

Not that I actually did any skiing.  I spent most of my time shopping, spa-ing, and eating with Kristen (remember her delicious warm potato salad?) while our husbands went off to the mountain.


Normally I hate the cold & snow, but I must admit that the setting was so beautiful and serene.  Here is what our hotel, the Whiteface Lodge, looks like from the outside.

 ©2010 The Whiteface Lodge

Not to mention our suite was amazing and incredibly cozy.  This was exactly what our living room looked like:

©2010 The Whiteface Lodge

Seriously, I might have moved in if they let me.  And I have no doubts that it would have been a marvelous few weeks, before my life savings were drained and I was thrown out of the hotel... penniless, but thoroughly relaxed.

 the hotel's beautiful christmas tree

So in the spirit of winter fun and warm drinks sipped by the fire, I wanted to share this coffee with you.  Mr. V says its like mulled apple cider in coffee-form.  If you are not a fan of citrus, just leave out the orange zest.

Spiced Coffee
  • 8 T. ground coffee (freshly ground is best)
  • 2 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1 t. ground cloves
  • 1/4 t. freshly grated orange zest 
Fill coffee maker with enough water for 8 cups (using measurements on your pot, not a measuring cup).  Fill coffee filter with ground coffee, then add spices & zest.  Brew per manufacturer's instructions.  Yields 8 cups (the number of servings depends on how much you put in your mugs).

Recipe slightly adapted from Food Network's Anne Thorton

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow..wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing! Coffee sound spicy:)) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coffee sounds wonderfully comforting - like the idea of the orange zest! Lake Placid is a great getaway - glad to read you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering about spiced coffee lately. Harney and Sons makes a Holiday Tea that I just can't get enough of but would love something like that in coffee form. Thanks for sharing this with us! Have a happy and safe Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...