Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Kettle Corn


So tell me... is it wrong to post another popcorn-based recipe in the span of a few weeks?

Don't answer that.

Because I seriously cannot get enough of this.

First of all, let's just have a moment of honesty amongst friends here -  I have a sick obsession with popcorn.

Or at least Mr. Vittles says so. 

I may or may not need counseling, that is yet to be determined. 

I can't go anywhere that sells popcorn without losing what little all self control that I have.  Like, I can spend an hour at a fair or market and not buy a single thing... but God forbid there is a stand with kettle corn anywhere near the vicinity, and out comes the wallet.

I can't help it!  Even Target gets me sometimes.  From the minute you walk in the door, they torture you with heavenly smells of freshly popped, buttery popcorn and it's not even fair.

"Ok, let's focus now.  I need paper towels, dish soap, deodorant, shaving cream, and... POPCORN!  I mean, er, toothpaste...  And POPCORN!"

Ahhhh!  And... all focus goes right out the window. 

In any case, I've been making my own 'kettle corn' for quite a while now, and unfortunately I've long forgotten where I found the original instructions.

Actually no, the truly unfortunate part is that I no longer need to look at the instructions I wrote down, because I make it so often.

But I honestly think it's as good as anything you'd get from someone that makes authentic kettle corn.

(Even so, Mr. V is worried that I'm going to come home with giant kettle one day for the real deal.  I assured him I'm fine with the stovetop variety, but then again they say the first sign of addiction is denial that you have a problem?)

Anyway, I don't know what came over me recently, but I decided to throw a little cinnamon in there and that took things to a whole new level!  But if you're a purist, feel free to leave it out for some good old-fashioned sweet & salty popcorn.

Either way, just go make this.  Immediately.  For both our sake.

I won't judge.  Your secret is safe with me, I swear.

Cinnamon Sugar Kettle Corn
  • 1/4 C. unpopped popcorn
  • 3 T. canola oil
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 1/4 t. cinnamon (or more, if preferred)
  • salt, to taste

Mix sugar and cinnamon in small bowl, and set aside.  Place large, empty bowl on counter near stove (this will be the bowl you'll dump the popcorn into).

Place popcorn in 2-quart saucepan (with handle & cover), and pour oil over top.  Shake pan to distribute evenly and coat popcorn kernels with oil. 

Place uncovered on burner at medium to medium-high heat.  In 2-3 minutes, oil will start to sizzle.  When first kernel or two pops, sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top and quickly cover.

Holding handle of saucepan, shake pan back & forth and side to side while keeping on the burner.  (Think old-school Jiffy Pop on the stove.)  Popcorn may not immediately start popping once you put the sugar on, but it won't take long.  Keep shaking until popping slows.

Immediately empty into bowl, being careful not to burn yourself on the hot sugar.  Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve.

Recipe Adapted from Unknown Source

23 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of the super buttery popcorn after a less than pleasant movie theatre buttered popcorn overdose in high school but kettlecorn anything and I'm all over it. I too have been making it at home and it's been life changing.... now adding cinnamon though, I fear my addiction of kettlecorn may grow to a whole new level. And on the note of an official kettle for popcorn, Valentine's is just around the corner - it could be a perfect gift idea? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute! I could easily sit down and eat an entire bag of popcorn to myself. Kettle corn, ahh! My favorite or maybe it ranks up there with the jalapeno ranch popcorn I've had before. Don't make me choose. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious - I love a good flavored popcorn, too! And not the buttery kind ... I like to play with some good salts, herbs, and sugars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been ages since I've had any kind of popcorn! Your enthusiasm as me thinking I might become obsessed too. It sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have too many popcorn posts. Love this flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a guy that comes once a year to a local festival here and he makes the best kettle corn and I am addicted. He only comes around ONCE a year. It kills me. I've never actually tried to make it at home. I really need to because now you are making me crave it...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love kettle corn! i'm eager to try it with cinnamon now, too! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for this! every saturday in the summer this man sits under a big tent across from where I work making and selling this stuff. all you can smell is this amazing popcorn! its absolute torture! I give that man so much money in the summer so THANK YOU FOR THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooohhh I love kettle corn! I didn't try it until my early 20s and it's like now I'm trying to make up for all those wasted, corn-free years by eating it by the gallon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, this sounds like a must munch recipe. I don't think I'd be able to stop after just one handful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! We are popcorn junkies so I'll have to print this off to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks fantastic! I'm going to have to make that for the kids this weekend! Thanks for linking up to Made From Scratch Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fresh, homemade popcorn. This sounds wonderful.

    I'd love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make this too, it is reallllly good! I use coconut oil to make it, it makes the best popcorn. The Stir Crazy makes it easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fresh and yummy. I've never make kettle corn at home before. Maybe I should give that a try, real soon!

    I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

    Amy
    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me again! I couldn't resist featuring your popcorn! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful recipe. I'm featuring it today. I'd love for you to stop by :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep...that's why I go to Target - for the popcorn combo :) This kettle corn looks amazing and easy, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i just made this.....omg.....it is delicious!!!!!! thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love cinnamon sugar popcorn. I think this will be a great treat for my niece and nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am always looking for a great popcorn recipe to make for our family movie night and this one fit the bill...we LOVED it!

    I shared this recipe on my Must Try Tuesday post this week...

    http://therickettchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/03/must-try-tuesday-march-8-2011_08.html

    Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just tried this recipe and wowza!! My daughter and I are sitting here trying to stop eating the whole dang bowl. Really good!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...